SAND Literature & Art
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Submissions are currently closed.
SAND publishes visual art, poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, flash fiction, flash nonfiction, nd translations that push the boundaries of form, message, and voice in fresh and unpredictable ways—work that is haunting for its soul, edge, and truth. We are all about work that subverts, work that takes real risks.
SAND welcomes both emerging and established talents to submit. We have long been committed to amplifying the voices of writers and artists who are women, nonbinary, BIPOC, LGBTQ+, working class, disabled, neurodiverse, international, or otherwise generally underrepresented/sidelined in the publishing world.
- We accept previously unpublished poems, short stories, flash fiction/nonfiction, translations, and visual art.
- We pay semi-professional rates that vary according to our funding.
- SAND is run by a passionate team of volunteers and funded solely through issue sales and small donations. The €3 reading fee for poetry, fiction, and creative nonfiction submissions helps us to cover the essential costs of running the journal.
- We provide a free submission option for writers and artists for whom fees create a financial barrier to submitting.
- There are submission caps on fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction, so these categories may close early. Please send work early to avoid disappointment, and to stay up-to-date on our social media channels.
- Simultaneous submissions are welcome, but please inform us as soon as possible if the work has been accepted elsewhere.
- You may submit to multiple genres, but you may only submit once per genre.
- We only accept work that is the creative effort of humans with lived experience. All submitters will be required to confirm and fully disclose the role that AI and other non-standard technologies have played in the creation of their submitted work.
- Please allow six months for a response before sending an inquiry.
The best way to get to know if your work is a fit for SAND is by reading digital or print issues, or by checking out the many excerpts, readings, and editor interviews at SAND ONLINE and on our Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube channels