There are presently no open calls for submissions.
SAND publishes visual art, poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, flash fiction, flash nonfiction, and translations that push the boundaries of form, message, and voice in fresh and unpredictable ways—work that is haunting for its soul, edge, and truth. We are all about work that subverts, work that takes real risks.
The best way to get to know if your work is a fit for SAND is by reading digital or print issues, or by checking out the many excerpts, readings, and editor interviews on our website, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube channels. For an even deeper look into what we look for, you can also attend craft and submissions webinars with our editors live or after-the-fact.
SAND welcomes both emerging and established talents to submit, and we have long amplified the voices of writers and artists who are women, BIPOC, LGBTQ+, working class, disabled, international, and/or geographically underrepresented.
- Submissions for SAND 25 will be open in fall/winter 2022.
- We accept previously unpublished poems, short stories, creative nonfiction, flash fiction, flash nonfiction, translations, and visual art.
- We are a no-fee, paying market. We pay semi-professional rates that vary according to our funding.
- There is a submission cap on fiction, creative nonfiction, flash, and poetry submissions, and these categories sometimes close before the submission deadline. We encourage submitters to send work early and to stay up-to-date on our social media channels.
- Simultaneous submissions are welcome, but please inform us as soon as possible if the work has been accepted elsewhere.
- You may submit to multiple genres, but you may only submit once per genre.
- Please allow six months for a response before sending an inquiry.