There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Submissions open March 20 - April 10, 2021.
SAND publishes visual art, poetry, fiction, flash fiction, creative nonfiction, and translations that push the boundaries of form, message, and voice in fresh and unpredictable ways—work that is haunting for its soul, edge, and truth. We are all about work that subverts, work that takes real risks.
The best way to get to know if your work is a fit for SAND is by attending upcoming webinars by our editors on what we publish (early March 2021), by reading digital or print issues of SAND, by reading or watching editor interviews, and by watching performances of pieces we've published on SAND’s YouTube channel.
SAND welcomes both emerging and established talents to submit, and we have long amplified the voices of writers and artists who are women, BIPOC, LGBTQ+, working class, disabled, international, and/or geographically underrepresented.
• Submissions are open from March 20, 2021, to April 10, 2021. Submissions close at midnight, Berlin time.
• We accept previously unpublished poems, short stories, flash fiction, translations, and art. (Nonfiction is currently closed.) Work forthcoming in a book, including excerpts, is acceptable, as long as it appears in SAND before the book's publication date. We ask for worldwide First Serial Rights. (Rights revert to you after publication.)
• There is a cap on fiction, flash fiction, and poetry submissions, and these categories might close before April 10. Be sure to submit to these categories early. Check our social media channels for updates.
• Simultaneous submissions are welcome, but please inform us as soon as possible if the work has been accepted elsewhere. We also accept multiple submissions as long as they are in separate categories.
• Please allow six months for a response before sending an inquiry.
• We will never charge you fees for submitting. (Donations and subscriptions are of course appreciated, and help us stay weird and independent.)
• We will pay contributors as long as our funding will allow. We also send all contributors a free copy of SAND and promise faithful promotion of your writing/art for as long as we both shall live.